Friday, February 25, 2011

Approaching the six month mark

I have a few observations I would like to make.

I have had some good days and some bad days.  The bad days have not been as bad as the days before surgery, but they are more numerous than I expected.   Having a few pieces of metal in your neck is a bit strange.  I knew there was a chance of being able to feel the difference, but was really hoping it wouldn't be too severe.  It isn't enough to drive me crazy, but I do know it was there.

Seems having metal in your neck makes the cold seem more.....COLD.  When you include the fact that Georgia has had a very cold and strange weather pattern this season.  We have had snow 3 times since Christmas...One of those storms kept the kids out of school for a solid week!   Having a cold receptor in your neck has been crazy cold.

It has taken me almost the whole six months to be able to get back to some of my usual routines.  Sewing has been especially hard.  I find that wearing my brace makes it easier to sew.  Another odd thing is sitting at the computer is a bit uncomfortable after a while. So my computer time is a bit more sporadic than I would like.

For my one year surgery anniversary...I am going to Disney.  My last trip to Disney was just 10 weeks after surgery.  I was the official babysitter of all things you didn't want to take on the ride!  While I had fun, it wasn't the most magical trip we've ever taken!  This time I will be in a better position to enjoy myself, and it won't be so cold!

In the past 6 months, I've had to take a bit more 'discomfort' pills than I thought I would.  I found that if I over did, taking one of the pills would help to keep it from turning to an actual pain.  As long as I remembered to take it a bit more easy than I wanted to ...I was fine.

Having the flu was interesting to say the least.  Since I can 'feel' the metal plate a bit, it made a sore throat a bit strange to deal with.

Over all, I am very happy that I decided to go with the surgery.  There have just been a bit more 'strange' things that I didn't plan on.  Not really the type of things you can plan for, since not everyone will experience them.  But still were a bit disconcerting, until I found out they were not really out of the ordinary...just not common enough 'side effects' to mention.

Nini

2 comments:

  1. you can actually feel the screws and plate? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although most people don't feel it. I am a bit more sensitive than some, but not as much as others. My surgeon told me of one man that had so much trouble that he tried to get him to take the metal out!

    What I feel when I have a sore throat is that 'behind' my throat there is something rubbing on my throat. It is really hard to explain, but as time goes on it is less and less noticeable!

    ReplyDelete